Sunday, September 30, 2012

All Settled In; And more!

Looking at the date today, I realized it's been 30 days since my last blog post. That's unacceptable.. :)

There is so much I can write about that I don't know where to begin. I'll start by saying that my flight(s) to Vienna from Honolulu were bearable. My luggage arrived with me in Vienna and I took a cab to my residence. I'm living in the 18th district in Vienna, and to my surprise I really like the area I'm living in. Everything I need is within walking distance. Which is something I'm definitely not used to! I have my own bathroom and little kitchen, so that's a major plus. These past 2 weeks have been packed with all sorts of errands and specific outings.. So far I've had to register with the district I'm living in, finalize my residency permit, open a bank account, purchase a sim card + phone, purchase kitchen accessories, groceries, and figure out other random things.

I have met many other TAs (teaching assistants..) here in Vienna, and also at the orientation seminar that took place in Graz. I haven't spoken as much German as I'd like so far, but once I start working and surrounding myself with more Austrians I'm sure that will change. One thing I love (and on some days really look forward to) is the fact that Kaffee und Kuchen can literally be found on every corner. Austrians love their coffee, and there are more cafes here than I can count. As a matter of fact I will be getting coffee tomorrow with my new Austrian friend, Jörg.

This week will be interesting for sure. I will be meeting with my teachers for the first time and figuring out what my teaching schedule will be like between my two schools. So far my teachers have been very helpful, informative, and flexible. Since orientation I have gotten so many neat ideas for possible lesson plans. It all depends on what the teachers prefer - if I follow their specific instructions for lessons or if I can bring my own into the classroom. We shall see, but either way, it will be fun and interesting. On Tuesday will be when we figure out my schedule, and I'll sign the contract, along with giving them copies of documents and stuff. Then on Wednesday I'll be giving my first lessons. I'm pretty nervous for it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Fall has definitely arrived here in Vienna. The leaves are starting to change color and fall to the ground. It's also a little cooler out than it was a couple weeks ago. I'm slowly accumulating winter clothing...I want to be prepared! Well that just about sums up the past 2 weeks. I'll be writing again this weekend about my experiences in my schools this week. :)

-EMS

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I miss you! But I am so proud of you! You are doing such a great job!!!
    Did you get in contact with my friend who lives in Vienna?
    I wish there was something else I could do to make this feel like home to you!
    Oh, yeah, I still need to get your mailing address. :)

    ReplyDelete